INDIANAPOLIS' PREMIER INDOOR TRAINING SYSTEM
CLASSES AT MARIAN UNIVERSITY: PAUL J NORMAN CYCLING CENTER
CLASSES AT ST VINCENT SPORTS PERFORMANCE: CLAY TERRACE
INDOOR TIME TRIAL SERIES
POWER BOOSTER (tm) is Indianapolis' premier indoor cycling studio, a high-tech indoor riding and coaching program put on by Marian University Cycling for the Indianapolis community at the Marian University Paul J. Norman Cycling Center, otherwise known as the “wattage cottage,” and at Matthew's Bicycles. The popular indoor cycling training series enters its seventh year of preparing Indy-area cyclists for a full season of training and competition through an established system of workouts that take place inside on state-of-the-art Computrainer© units. The advanced indoor multi-rider set-up allows the riders and coach to monitor, via digital screens, individual power (wattage), speed, distance ridden, caloric expenditure, and other metrics. A small-group setting of eight riders at a time allows coaches to see individual data and hone in on each rider’s specific training needs while riders are coached through designed workouts to build power and form on the bike. The drills and prescribed cycling intervals are designed to increase cycling-specific efficiency, power, and overall output. PowerBooster is great for those with spring/summer racing goals, triathletes, or those that just want to get into shape and lose some unwanted weight fast and effectively! PowerBooster BASE is designed to build a stronger and wider base of endurance and tempo level riding on which to build higher level training into the spring of 2013! The series of classes works as a cohesive system to increase power and prepare riders for the summer season through pedal efficiency drills, specific output intervals, and feedback from coaches, who are experienced cyclists in the community.
POWERBOOSTER is ideal for riders with spring, summer, and fall racing goals, triathletes, or those that want to get into shape and lose some unwanted weight fast and effectively, building a solid base of endurance tempo while also beginning higher-end lactate threshold work. In the 2012 Build classes, riders gained an average of over 8.5% lactate functional power- about 25 watts!
POWER BOOSTER is:
- A fully-instructed indoor cycling training program designed to increase cycling-specific efficiency, power, and overall output
- An established system of workouts that takes place on an eight-rider Computrainer system and uses each rider’s individual power output as the guiding metric
- A system that includes pre- and post- class 20-minute power tests which can directly show the BOOST of power from the class
POWER BOOSTER is not:
- A spin class
- A series of stand-alone classes that you can pick and choose when to come
- An open group ride where you can do your own thing
- Only for serious bike racers. It is for any cycling enthusiasts, including women and juniors, who want a indoor training option
Frequently asked questions
- What do I need to bring to class? Yourself, your bike, water/hydration, a hand towel (recommended), and a willingness to ‘go hard’ to achieve the goals of the workout. We also have a changing area and access to showers, if you want to bring casual clothes for after the session.
- Is there anything special I need to do to my bike for the Computrainers? No. We have the steel skewers necessary to mount your bike (although you can use your own) and any road tire will work. Our instructors will help you to set up on the trainer and learn the calibration process.
- What’s the difference between classes at Marian’s Cycling Center and classes at St. Vincent?There is no difference. The classes being offered at each location, while instructed by a variety of coaches, are based on the same progression, same workout, and same program to help you achieve your goals.
- How will the classes be structured/will a workout be provided? Each session is structured with a warm-up, skills section, and intervals, which everyone does together. Each rider does a power test at the beginning of every POWER BOOSTER session and then receives a zone card with power zones so that you can hit your individual targets in each and every part of the workout.
- What if I can't do the workout? (Workout is too hard?) We encourage everyone to do his or her best to stay on target with each workout. Every rider has his or her own individual power zones, based on the power test, that guide you to the right amount of output and push you to grow as an athlete. Our instructors will help guide you and encourage you to complete each park of each workout in the correct way.
- Can I pick and choose when to come, a la carte style? We ask that you commit to (by signing up for) an entire four or six week session (two workouts per week, Mon/Wed or Tues/Thurs) and follow our plan to gain maximum advantage from the POWER BOOSTER plan. While we understand that things come up and you may have to miss a workout, we encourage you to commit to the entire structure. If you miss a class for some reason, we are flexible and will try to hep you find another class to make up.
Paul J. Norman Cycling Center at Marian University - 3200 Cold Spring Road, Indianapolis - back of St. Francis Hall, across from baseball field
St. Vincent Sports Performance - Clay Terrace - 14455 Clay Terrace Blvd, Carmel (next to DSW- enter through back door by loading dock)
EMAIL: Interim Manager John Hoopingarner jhoopingarner310[at]marian.edu
Weather-related closings will be posted on our Facebook and Twitter pages as soon as possible. Assume class is ON unless you see otherwise. If you are unable to make it to class due to weather, contact us for a reschedule opportunity.